31 October 2007

Hallowe'en


I was afraid I would miss my favorite holiday during my stay here, but I worried needlessly. Ever the world’s merchants, Venetians have taken the cue from U.S. costumers and confectioners, and tapped into the earning potential of the Hallows’ Eve festivities. They offered plenty of big orange pumpkins for my jack-o-lanterns. And just look at this example of the shop window displays they have conjured. You would swear you’re in midtown New York.

I’m not convinced that they really understand the holiday’s origins, though. For that matter, neither do most Americans, in spite of having made it the second largest spending event on the commercial calendar. (Contact me, Americans or Venetians, to enroll in my very informative class, “A Broad but Brief History of Hallowe’en.”)

Anyway, I can’t wait to see what the Venetian kids will do in the way of dress-up and trick-or-treating. I myself will be visiting “Il Vampiro” at Pleasure Café. He knows me only as “La Strega.” Sure wish I had my Miss October costume with me!

(Jeff, I’ve been thinking of you so much. Good Samhain Tidings to you! No bonfire for me this year… )