25 July 2008

Natale in luglio


That is to say, “Christmas in July.”

This is July 25th, and my neighbor (who works as a hairdresser in her apartment across the calle) has been playing loud Christmas music all week. Not just some classical stuff that would pass as quasi-highbrow easy listenin’ at anytime of the year. No. I mean real Christmasy stuff: “All I Want For Christmas” and “Santa Baby” and Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas” and pa-rum-pah-pum-pum and fa-la-la-la-la! And, by the way, it’s all in English and she’s obviously Italian! (Most of the time she plays Michael Buble over and over and over again – go figure!)

Lately all I can think about is how to finagle another winter here in Venice. So what can this strange choice of musical entertainment possibly mean? Is my neighbor just another ordinary Christmas nut, counting the days until the yuletide season during these hot, sweaty Venetian summer hours? Or is my lady La Serenissima (currently in one of her b*tchy, withholding moods) mocking me? Nyah, nyah – All of this and all of us will still be here come December… but you won’t – nyah, nyah! She can be like that sometimes.

Believe me, this is not making things any easier for me.

Christmas in July indeed! Bah, humbug!!